About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom of two boys. I am taking this class to keep my certification.

Monday, April 6, 2009

Week 12 Post

This weeks assignment was to listen to 2 podcasts given by Judy Chanlder, a math teacher in Maine. Her topic was using technology in teaching math. She began her first podcast listing many of the excuses teachers use to justify their decision not to use technology in the classroom. A few of the excuses were: "Technology is an add on", "I have not time to learn how to use it", "I have to cover what's in the book first"' "I have students who are successful with out technology", "Students are getting it"' "What would technology bring to my class?". The National Teachers of Mathematics states that technology is essential in learning math and enhances learning. When technology is used the students are more interested and become more engaged. There are many advantages to using technology in the math class. A few of them are as follows: Students receive instant feedback with technology tools that are used, Technology uniquely address the individual needs of students and encourage different levels of critical thinking, technology gives good visual examples, and technology gives a teacher alternative ways to present information. What teachers don't realize is that they actually gain class time by using technology, because some of the technology that is available can cover several lessons at one time. Using technology in a class room promotes greater learning and engages students in multi-sensory learning.

The second podcast focused on what type of questions teachers ask their students. The questions that guide learning and focuses the learning of the students. Using technology helps the students explore, investigate, "play with", and ask why? The questions that are generated guide the students to think and reason, and in return they remember better what they are learning. A traditional math class is lesson by lesson and chapter by chapter. Some students are not able to learn this way and become frustrated and become dis-engaged. Other students memorize useless information and do well on the test, but soon forget what they memorized. By engaging them with the latest technology (visual models, differentiated instruction, real world applications) the teacher creates a different way of learning.

As a former teacher I remember how frustrated our technology coordinator would get when "those" teachers refused to attend any workshop that had anything to do with new technology. "Those" teachers used the computer for making tests and checking e-mail and that was enough for them. I was the opposite. I was eager to use whatever I could in my classroom to enhance my students learning. And by doing this I saw first hand what a difference it made in student participation, pride, and grades. I have a son who is 6 and can use a laptop better than I can. Technology is here to stay and will only get more popular. Teachers should feel an obligation to be "up to snuff" on the latest and be able to incorporate it into their lessons. 

Technology opens the door to so many possibilities of learning.  I used it as often as I could when I taught.  My students participated in making and using a database, completing a webquest(that I created), played review games on Quia(that I created), made travel brochures, power points, and many others.  On the days we used technology a person could feel the excitement as the students walked in my room.  It is true that sometimes technology isn't easy to use or the server is down or a kid forgets his password, but it is worth the headaches and the temporary frustration.  Every teacher should do their best to incorporate as much technology as possible.  The students will love them for it.

2 comments:

  1. Hey friend who moved away!! Great blog!! Technology is wonderful, especially if you know what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Joyce. Hopefully you have pickup up a few new tidbits for future use in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete